For almost every person, a dacha is a second home or favorite resting place. Caring for the garden and the garden, as well as performing construction work in the house are labor-intensive processes requiring the investment of finances and physical labor. Arbor is not only a beautiful addition to the site, but also serves as a great place to relax. When choosing materials for the construction of gazebos, most people prefer wood. Independent production of a gazebo will significantly save money.
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantages of wooden arbors:
- Beauty. Undoubtedly, the creative abilities of ordinary people are sometimes pleasantly surprised.
- Environmental friendliness. Wood does not contain harmful substances.
- Adequate price. Wood can be easily purchased at hardware stores at an affordable price.
- Easy to use. Wood is quite convenient in work and does not require special skills.
- At high temperatures, especially in summer, tree arbors do not heat up.
The disadvantages include:
- Shortness. The tree may rot, and the likelihood of damage by wood borers is high. To extend the life of the need to remove the fallen leaves from the floor at the end of the summer season to avoid rotting. The treatment of wooden surfaces with special antiseptic compounds is also necessary, this is done immediately after construction is completed, but before painting / varnishing wooden structures. The cracks which have appeared over time need to be puttied. In winter, for the safety of the gazebo, the roof should be covered with a stretch film and all unnecessary items should be moved to a closed room.
- High inflammability. Due to the high risk of fire, it is not safe to install barbecues and braziers in the gazebo. The likelihood of a fire is reduced when wood is treated with special formulations that minimize the risks of such a disaster.
Choice of place
At the preparatory stage, you need to choose the place, size and type of building, building style and building materials. The choice of the size of the gazebo depends on the main purpose of the structure construction. For family or friendly gatherings, a large gazebo is needed, and a small one is enough for personal needs.
Location selection is a responsible process. The durability of the structure depends on this factor. If the structure is to be built in a valley, then due to frequent precipitation it may rot. Also important is the wind protection factor. Endless drafts are unlikely to bring pleasure from gatherings in the gazebo. In terms of landscape design, the view from the intended gazebo should be good. The ideal option is the construction of structures in the depths of the garden.
For complete harmony, it is necessary that the gazebo be designed in the style of building a house, otherwise similar dissonance will stand out strongly on the site.
Arbors can be classified according to the following criteria:
- by type of construction;
- in form.
Common forms are: rectangular, hexagonal and round.
According to the type of arbor can be divided into open, half-closed and closed. The closed canopies are universal for operation during any time of the year. Semi-closed gazebos resemble a small house.
Choice of style
An important nuance is the consideration of the building style in accordance with the landscape design. The most common styles of arbors include classic, Victorian, village, oriental and own.
The classic style of the building is characterized by clear lines. The design is based on hexagonal and quadrangular bases.
Ornamental and ordinary plants are inherent in the Victorian style, so when built with this nuance in mind, the base of the arbor is built together with a special grid.
Oriental style differs from others in the shape of the roof and extraordinary ornaments.
Features of wooden arbors
Drawings and diagrams
Having decided on the style and type of the pergola, it is necessary to make drawings. Thanks to them, you can understand how to make the necessary construction. Properly drafted project will help save time when building a structure, calculate the exact amount of necessary building materials, take into account all the nuances before the start of construction in order to obtain high-quality and durable construction.
The design scheme should include the type of the proposed construction from all sides with dimensions.
Preparation of materials / tools
In accordance with the planned project of wooden construction, the construction process assumes the availability of such materials:
- wooden bars ;
- crushed stone;
- nails or self-tapping screws ;
- corners made of metal;
- materials for roof overlap;
- roofing material.
A set of tools
Spruce, birch, pine, larch or cedar are the most common types of wood used to build such structures. Before starting work, the wood must be dried and treated with special means that will protect the building from parasites and rotting.
The necessary tools are:
- drill / screwdriver;
- electric planer;
- circular saw.
After the preparatory stage, the construction process follows, which includes the sequential execution of steps:
- Clearing and leveling the construction site. At this stage, you need to clear the area of debris, cut down trees and bushes if necessary, level the site.
- Choice of the foundation. Properly laid foundation is the basis of success and durability of the building. There are such variants of the base - tape, slab and columnar. The simplest and not requiring large financial investments - columnar. To do this, mark the territory of the future gazebo with wooden posts and ropes stretched between them. Then, at the selected area, remove the top land layer with a depth of not less than 0.5 m. After this, sand (10 cm), crushed stone (10 cm), concrete solution (30 cm) should be laid successively in layers. Such a solution is made from sand, gravel and cement. Next, lay a layer of roofing material on the concrete layer. Then you need to make columns of brick in three or four rows in order to create a space between the ground and the gazebo to avoid rotting wood. At the final stage of creating the foundation, you need to re-lay the layer of roofing material.
- Floor installation. To accomplish this task, it is necessary to choose the option of installing the floor: on the basis of the structure or taking into account the stop against the floor walls. The second option is quite simple. For the arrangement of the floor using wooden bars, treated with layers of copper sulphate to prevent them from rotting and eating insects.
- Construction of the frame and roof. When performing such work, it is important to focus on bearing beams, because they are responsible for the stability of the gazebo. When assembling the frame used wooden boards and bars. Bearing supports are mounted from wooden bars. The basis of the frame is made up of special bars, which are laid on concrete blocks. Lags and vertical posts are attached to the structure. To the frame - vertical pillars, using metal corners and screws. For the vertical arrangement of the base, you must use special props. When building a frame using the so-called upper trim (special horizontal bars). The easiest way to build a roof is to use wooden logs that create geometric shapes for the building.
- Wall cladding. At this construction stage, the choice of material is important: sheet metal, boards, slate and others. The main disadvantage when choosing sheet material is the lack of sound insulation, this is especially evident in rainy weather. The simplest option is to use wall cladding with wooden boards. Depending on the style and design of the planned structure, solid or lattice walls can be made.
- Improvement of the arbor. The final stage is the filling and creation of the necessary interior of the resulting structure.
The choice of furniture and the availability of electricity already depend on the desire and imagination of the owner.
Photo: Original gazebos
Log cabin arbor
In oriental style
A roof made of straw
Unusual design of an arbor
Arbor with a brazier
Traditional Russian arbor
Schemes will help you to design your own alcove from the tree:
Drawing of the grill arbor
Form 3 by 3
Drawing of an oriental-style gazebo
With a four-slope roof
A rectangular version with a single-slope roof
Standard country option
With a brazier
Scheme of Nodes
Compounds Roof assemblies