Today, in the field of building materials, there is a wide range of siding, produced by the latest technologies. The most popular among buyers are vinyl, zinc, steel, aluminum and wood material for surface finishing.
It is not enough to make a choice in favor of a certain type, you need to know how to lay siding. Regardless of the material, the installation process is almost the same, so it’s enough to figure out how to fix vinyl panels.
Cladding with siding panels
Among the variety of materials vinyl siding occupies a leading position and is successfully used in the decoration of residential buildings. It is made in the form of panels of polyvinyl chloride with a thickness of 1 mm and is laid by lining each other (overlap). The siding surface may vary in texture, but wood imitation is often used.
The panels are 30–40 cm long and 20–25 cm wide, with a slight correction depending on the manufacturer.
Advantages of siding panels
Finishing siding gained such popularity because it has a number of significant advantages, some of which are described below:
- Vinyl siding sheathing has high levels of environmental safety.
- Panels are highly resistant to temperature fluctuations and fire resistance.
- During the long operational period, the material does not rot, does not change the original shape and color.
- To perform the installation work, you do not need to have professional skills and specialized tools, so the installation may well be done independently.
Working with siding panels is permissible not only for new buildings, but also for covering buildings in operation. However, before you begin the process of finishing, carefully understand the technological intricacies.
Manufacturing of battens
Battens for siding
In preparation for the installation work, you need carefully study the siding paneling technique by reading the instructions that indicate the step-by-step procedure.
- Initially, you need to determine the amount of material required for covering your structure. This is done by calculating the area of the facades, taking into account 10% of the stock, which will fit the panels during installation.
- Siding siding requires preliminary preparation of the surfaces from which all extraneous elements that may impede installation must be removed. Window openings should be free of gratings, trim, shutters and slopes, also remove the doors and drain pipes.
- If necessary, close the gaps and renew (reinforce) the previous finish.
- The next stage of the finishing process should be the manufacture of the batten from wooden bars, which are fixed on the surface of the wall in a vertical line with a step of 30-40 centimeters. The batten is not made by mounting the bars in a horizontal position, otherwise there will be a violation of the natural ventilation of the space, which is covered with panels. The crate should also be made around the doors, windows and at the corners of the house.
- Provide for the sealing of areas exposed to moisture by special means.
- The siding finishing process begins with the determination of the initial installation point. Fixing of the panels should be done in such a way that they cover part of the foundation from above. That is, horizontal markings are made along the entire perimeter on the surface of the building walls.
Cladding technology with siding panels
- Next, take the initial bar, supplied with the material, and nail it with studs at the level of the previously made markup.
- Then secure one siding panel to the starting plate and nail it over the entire area, moving from the center.
- Having fastened the new section of the initial strip, continue the sequential installation of the next rows of siding panels.
- When starting the installation of the final panel row, fasten the finishing bar by nailing it to the surface of the eaves.
Measures for weatherization of siding
Siding panels are subject to temperature fluctuations, which can lead to changes in the original geometric parameters. To avoid this during installation, it is necessary to provide for clearances for possible deformation.
If you follow all these simple rules and technologies, you will easily manage to sheathe your house with siding panels and give it a beautiful appearance. If everything is done correctly, the result will please you for a long time without additional repair.
A video is presented to your attention that shows how siding is installed on an old wooden house:
Finishing the facade with siding and installing a drainage system: