The iron door serves not only as a reliable protection against unauthorized persons entering the apartment, but also prevents the penetration of cold air and noise. The ideal option is an iron door, the kit which already includes material for insulation.
However, there are times when inexperienced customers purchase a structure with a poor thermal insulation system, or they specifically buy such a door in order to save money. In such a situation it is necessary to insulate the door yourself.
In this article, we will tell you how to insulate the iron front door with your own hands, consider the Chinese door option, and also give photos and video instructions.
Methods for insulating iron doors
There are special on the Russian construction market the fillers intended for warming of door designs. Today, the following types of material for insulation are very popular:
- slabs of building mineral wool;
- basalt wool as a filler;
- warming foam rubber.
Each metal door must be equipped with rubberized or foam rubber seals. It is necessary for additional sound insulation when closing and preventing the penetration of cold air into the apartment from the outside.
In addition, a good result in noise protection is the processing of all the gaps and gaps using foam. In this case, similar functions with insulation are assigned to the assembly foam.
Materials necessary for work
Materials for insulation
The role of the basis of the door design plays a frame made of metal, made of any profile material, sheathed from the outside with an iron sheet. This kind of door can guarantee protection against burglary, but it cannot protect your home from cold air currents and other sounds.
To insulate an iron door, it is worth making a choice in favor of foam panels whose thickness equal to the width of the frame profile. In addition to the panels themselves, you need to purchase additional materials:
- sealing foam on a self-adhesive basis;
- emery paper;
- self-adhesive film;
- plates made of wood fiber;
You also need the following tools to do the job:
- electric drill;
- sharply sharpened cutter;
- pencil, ruler, measuring tape.
Technology of performance of work
For insulating The process of standard metal construction you will need to act in several stages:
- Initially, you need to measure the dimensions of your door along with the profile. Note that the hardboard sheet, which is intended for covering the door frame from the inside, must completely hide the profile of the structure. After the measurements are made and the sheet is cut according to the measurements, mark and cut the holes for the eye and the keyhole;
- Using foam panels cut to the required size, fill the gap equal to the thickness of the frame profile by fixing them on a metal surface silicone glue;
- Over the top, secure the harvested fiberboard sheet using special screws, twisted into a metal profile through fiberboard. Make sure that the screws are located at an equal distance over the entire surface. Then process the edges of the sheets using a knife and sandpaper;
- When finished processing the door leaf, glue it over with a sealer (foam rubber). To do this, fix the material on the frame, after removing the protective film from it.
Insulation in the door structure
This completes the insulation work and you can enjoy acquired peace and warmth of their apartment, thanks to the insulated iron door.
Warming Chinese doors
If you have Chinese doors installed, then over time they will also need to be warmed. Although some perform their insulation immediately after purchase. Below we offer you detailed instructions on how to carry out work on insulation:
- The first step is to disassemble the door structure. So, from one side completely remove the fittings and, if available, upholstery.
- If during the dismantling of the facing fabric to preserve its integrity did not work, then it is not terrible. It can be replaced with a sheet of fiberboard. With this, you will save time when assembling, selecting the convoluted configuration of the Chinese bolt or other parts.
- Further along the perimeter of the door, you install a wooden frame, securing it to the canvas with metal screws. The thickness of the rails can be up to 20 mm, equaling the thickness of the foam.
- Now all the space inside the rack structure is filled with foam. For this work, it is recommended to use a special adhesive that will not deform the foam. Due to gluing, the foam will not hang inside the door and crumble accordingly. Also glue filled the gap between the insulation.
Gluing the Foam
- When choosing a foam, give preference to the material that has a greater density. And given that the price of this heater is low, it will be possible to buy it for everyone.
- As we have said, we will sew the door frame with fiberboard. A sheet of hardboard is fastened to the metal with self-tapping screws. In this work, it is recommended to use clamps. To make it easier to unscrew the screws in the future, it is advised to pre-drill a hole in the frame.
- As in the foam, and in the fiberboard perform the corresponding holes for the peephole, door lock and other elements of the door.
- After preparing the fiberboard and gluing the foam, you will cover the foam rubber from above and cover it with the final skin (HDF). In this case, the thickness of the foam should be such that the sheet of hardboard can be fixed with little effort.
- Finally, the surface is covered with leather or other finishing material. For beauty, you can also put foam rubber under the upholstery and, having thought out the figure, hammer carnations with a decorative hat.
- Now you can install the fittings and hang the doors on the hinges.
Due to the increase in the thickness of the door after its insulation, you may need to replace the door lock or handles. Think about this before working, otherwise you will have to sleep with the doors open!
In addition to the above material, watch a video on how to warm the door frame:
The following is a series of photos from which you can visually familiarize yourself with other details of metal door insulation:
Accurate trimming of foam
Framework for insulation
Door trim insulation
Polyfoam for insulation
Insulation with mineral wool
Simultaneously noise insulation
Warming foam crumbs